Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Schnee und Dresden Weihnachtmarkt!!!!

Thought I'd give you all a bit of an update on the cold, snowy winter that I am facing in Dresden! It started snowing around the 20th or so of November and since then there has been snow (schnee) all over the ground in Dresden. It's been wonderful!!

This is my bus stop and currently where I spend most of my day- waiting for the number 62...

As I'm sure you've all seen on the T.V this has caused havoc on trains and flights. It's also affected my schedule to get to uni because the trams and buses are always delayed, this has made going to uni not fun lately... add in the fact that the sun doesn't wake up until about 8am now and sets around 4pm and temperatures have been in the negatives since November... This makes Eb not very enthused for Uni. It makes me wanna do this instead:


Also a fun part about all this wintery, snowy goodness at Christmas time is the Weihnachtmarkt (Christmas Market) that is held in pretty much every town in Europe. Dresden's claim to fame (alongside dental floss and mouthwash) is starting the Weihnachtmarkt in 1434... Yup- this is the 576th one..Yeah, impressive I know. Dresden-1, Rest of the World- 0. The Weihnachtmarkt is super fun and so pretty with all the snow. It's been a great place to pass the time with friends whilst drinking Glühwein (warm, spiced wine) and looking at all the marvelous stalls. See exhibits A,B,C,D and E:

The Frauenkirche in the background... pretty neat.  

Weihnachtmarkt crafty goodness... 

 Yes, I did go on the Ferris Wheel... It was awesome... 

I like this with the Full Moon in the background... 

My Weihnachtmarkt, Glühwein drinking buddies:
Alice, Emily and Me at the front, and Matthias and Richard at the back :o)

It'll be sad to know that when I come back from my Christmas Holiday travels (see next post) the entire square will be back to being boring. It packs up on the 24th of December and apparently brings 2 million tourists to Dresden.. which I believe cos there was always soooo many people about. 

Good Job Dresden Weihnachtmarkt :o)

And also well done snow- you've provided us all with much fun including unexpected snowball fights on the way to parties, and making it take 10 times longer to get home after parties because its soooo much fun to play in :oD


... Although by February I'm sure I'll be pretty sick of it :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment